Sunday 9 February 2014


I go had a good December and January, doing over 4000k in the build up to the Epic.  It is critical that you get these long base k’s in during these months, as you will be drawing on them at the end of a long day in the saddle after you have done 4 or 5 stages……
I felt my strength and speed improving and started to climb well.  In comparing my times between now and 2 years ago, I was slightly ahead, which pleased me seeing I am 2 years older!!  I must admit, I have to manage my training very carefully due to being an oldie. However on the local rides around the Northern Beaches of Sydney, I manage to hold my own.
Famous McCarrs Creek Road
One example is the best ride of the week. We call it Coast and Toast, where we hit the gas, going north and then turning at Palm Beach, along the beautiful coast of Sydney’s Northern Beaches.  We have a full on go from about 5k out up a few rolling hills, until we hit the “unofficial” sprint at Palm Beach Ferry station.  Just after, if you wanted to win the Sprint, the first 5 over the line, was a current NRS pro, who has a ride this year in Canada for Louis Garneau, 2 World Masters Champions and 2 Australian Masters Champions!! I was pretty happy to be 5th over the line.
Bernie and the boys
We also have the odd ProTour Pro turn up to ride. This year, Bernie Eisel, the strongman from Team Sky came out for a few rides with the boys. He was just picking up some base miles, but that didnt stop us having a couple of smash fests that even Bernie said we were crazy!

We also managed to get down to Tathra, which is about 6 hours drive South of Sydney for some of the best MTB trails in Australia.  I took both the Sworks Epics and was very excited to be taking out the 2014 Sworks Epic for it’s first outing!!.


This is my race bike for the Epic and they are beautiful bikes!  It even makes me look good on a mountain Bike!!  The trails are fantastic and it is finished off with a magnificent Café on the beach for a coffee.  You cant beat it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment