Friday 2 August 2013

Cape Epic 2014

Well, its been a while since I posted an entry.  After a great week at the Tour Down Under, Buzz and I decided to enter again for the 2014 Cape Epic.  I know I said I would never do it again, but time is a great healer and I am looking forward to 8 days of pain in beautiful Sth Africa in March 2014. 

I have been building up the base and clocked over nearly 8,000k on the bike since January. I will be taking it easy for the next 7 weeks before going onto a 7 month build up too the race.  My riding is ok, and I  have been hitting the gym for the last 2 months particularly to focus on the core as my back is feeling the effects of 35 years of riding and running.  The upside is that I am feeling strong, the downside is that I am nearly 78kg (lot of upper body work) and 7kgs heavier than when I was on the start line for the 2012 Epic.

Buzz and Christelle are expecting their first baby at the end of October so he is going to have his work cut out trying to fit it all in

I will try and do regular posts over the next few months to give you an idea of my training and what I am doing to get ready for the race.  We are aiming for a top 10 finish in masters and to do this we will have to have all go well and finish in the first 70 teams.  It is achieveable if all goes well.  Damo and Rusty from Melbourne have also scored and entry as well as another couple of blokes from Manly. My brother David is also coming along as the bike bitch so we should have a good group travelling across.


I am looking to buy a new bike, but are not sure as yet. My 2012 Specialized Epic SWorks is a beauty and more than capable of doing another epic.

Tomorrow, 90k on the road bike doing Coast and Toast  around the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

Foz

No comments:

Post a Comment