Sunday 7 November 2010

Le Foz wins a bronze at first cyclocross race!

There was a big field for the Pro/1/2, Masters 35+A and Masters 45+A greade race. Le Foz was at the back of the field as it took off. The pace was frantic at the start as everyone wanted to be first onto the dirt. I was last in the field to hit the dirt as I didn't want to bring anyone down due to my ineptitude. The top guys did the first lap in 2.25, I was slowest at 3.13. The hill was a killer and we were looking at 20+ times up it. It was like running up the stairs behind Manly lifesaving club on the way to Johnny Millers place with a bike on your back. The course was through a cattle sales yard (apparently this was the last place the Beatles played in the US 40 years ago). I was feeling strong in the straights and put the power down, but technical bits like jumping off a bike at 40k an hour to run up the hill and jumping back on when you can't breath to do a out of control free fall back down the hill was testing me.
>
> My strategy was to keep out of trouble and I knew my fitness would assist me. I was losing my chain everytime I ran up the hill and lost valuable time. I worked out not to shift down as I approached the hill as it threw the chain. I started to work my way through the field. After about 8 laps the lead Pro/1/2 riders caught me. They were suprised when I could easily stay with them on the flats. However the technical bits killed me. I tried to descend with the lead group and nearly killed myself. How I stayed up, I will never know! Then over the jump boards, (they did it so easy), I put the front brake on to hard and ended in the dirt (in front of about 500 spectators!). Skewed my front brake and punctured. I was about 100m from the start/finish and thought my race was over when the announcer said the "the Ozzie needs a wheel". I was handed one and before I knew it, back in the race. There was still 25 mins to go and I was getting the hang of the course. Started to get a few placed back and decided to not over ride. After 1 hr I was 3rd in Masters 45+ and 21st out of 50 riders.
>
> This cyclocross is very different to Road and Mtb'ing. It is part road and Mtb as well as part endurance, like time trialling as you hit your threshold and try to hold it for an hour.
> However I do have a nice shiny medal in my suitcase now!
>
> Tomorrow morning, I have another race before I head to the airport for New York.
>
> Another race report tomorrow
>
> Le Foz

No comments:

Post a Comment